Our Curriculum Specialist position is a full-time/salaried work-from-home/remote position.
The main functions of this position are to support the curriculum curation and individualization process for our one-on-one school, Pacific Preparatory. Students at Pacific Preparatory work with their teachers primarily online (via Zoom) and in some instances, teachers work with students in their homes. The Curriculum Specialist will interface directly with parents and our teachers, primarily via Zoom, phone, and email. Please note that this is a full-time position requiring approximately 8 hours per day (Monday-Friday) in front of a computer and considerable time on the phone/in Zoom meetings.
General Responsibilities (Summary):
● Facilitate curriculum meetings directly with parents via Zoom prior to the start of instruction
● Support teachers in administering academic diagnostic assessments/curating curriculum/crafting syllabi that are aligned with our focus on individualization and high-quality instruction
● Order books and resources for teachers and students prior to the start of instruction and ongoing as needed
● Determine and support teaching and learning in virtual and in-person scenarios
● Shepherd teachers through our reporting processes and send polished progress reports and report cards to families through Alma, our School Information System (SIS)
● Provide ongoing teacher coaching in instruction and curriculum development best practices
● Ensure all teachers are performing their administrative responsibilities diligently, including sending "Friday updates" to families and sharing lesson plans on a weekly basis
● Collaborate with our faculty manager to ensure teachers are submitting semesterly lesson recordings for observation and feedback
● Check in with parents on an ongoing basis to confirm receipt of books/resources, their satisfaction with their teachers, and to collect and share feedback
● Collaborate with the team in creating professional development webinars for our teachers to support in honing their teaching skills
● Submit high school syllabi for A-G course approval so that our high school courses transfer for students who wish to apply to UC schools
● Support the strengthening of our external marketing around our curriculum/course offerings
● Supporting teachers through curriculum curation/development and best teaching practices — 60%
● Conversing directly with families around our curriculum process, sharing reports (diagnostics, syllabi, and providing ongoing care and support over Zoom, phone, and email) — 30%
● Further developing and strengthening our curriculum offerings/marketing – 10%
● Quarterly performance bonuses
● Health insurance, 401K matching, FSA & HSA
● Generous vacation package (starting at 15 PTO days per year & increases with tenure) + additional 9 paid holidays
● Flexibility and time savings with telecommuting
● Bachelor’s degree (education focused) from an accredited college or university
● Degree(s) in education field highly preferred
● Experience teaching on-on-one and in the classroom, 6 years preferred
● Ability to travel up to 4x per year to California for team events (post-Covid)
● Ability to maintain 8 hours of daily focus on computer/phone.
● Ability to pay close attention to details, support a large and often evolving teacher staff, and process/track a large amount of information on a daily basis.
● Ability to effortlessly pick up the phone and call parents, teachers, and educational consultants in our network. If talking to people makes you nervous, this isn’t the right fit for you.
● Ability to self lead and research/find the support you need. You’ll be in charge of curriculum creation for students in all grades K-12 and students who may have various (dis)abilities and individual learning needs— you’ll need to be the expert supporting all of them.
● Ability to relay feedback to teachers in a firm yet kind manner.
● Ability to create and enforce protocols to ensure company/school-wide consistency.
● Ability to perform at a high level while working autonomously in a remote environment.
● Ability to adapt and go with the flow—we are a smaller company with big vision and during this growth period, our protocols are changing rapidly.
● Experience with software and programs including Google Suite, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software, Zoom.
To apply: please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Originally founded in 2002 in San Francisco, Tutor Corps has grown to become a premier tutoring company serving families nationally and around the world. In 2019, Tutor Corps rebranded its homeschool division into a separate one-on-one school called Pacific Preparatory. Additionally, our staff runs the Tutor Corps Foundation, a 501©3 non-profit that provides tutoring scholarships to students in Title I Schools, Teacher of the Year Awards, and Community Services Grants to K-12 students.
As an organization, we are committed to providing the highest level of educational services, working with students of all backgrounds,
and making a positive impact in the lives of our families with whom we work.
Our leadership team currently consists of seven full-time employees (including our CEO/Founder) and 150+ tutors/teachers—and we’ve collectively served thousands of families since we began operation in 2002. While our leadership team works remotely and across state lines from each other, we are a tight-knit team. We meet via Zoom every morning to review our daily priorities and engage in plenty of virtual collaboration throughout the week. We value effective and efficient work, and coming up with new ideas to execute on to quality completion.
Additionally, we place high emphasis on the cultivation of thoughtful relationships—in everything we do, our relationships come first, and we always treat our team members, tutors/teachers, families, and community members with utmost care. We meet up in person in California 3-4x per year (barring any global pandemics!) for team planning time, our beloved "Sonoma Wine Day", and overnight team retreats. We are a small but growing company and we’re pleased to be able to bring on an additional team member who will be vital to our continued success.
For more information, check out our websites (Tutor Corps, Pacific Preparatory, Tutor Corps Foundation), YouTube channels (Tutor Corps, Pacific Preparatory), as well as Yelp and Glassdoor.