At Brooklyn Ascend High School (BAHS), we are looking for teachers who are passionate about their academic discipline and personally driven by the academic achievement of their students. Ascend teachers hold exceptionally high intellectual expectations of their students and create a culture of joyful academic discovery in their rooms. Their aim is to ignite intellectual curiosity in their students and build their academic knowledge and confidence in preparation for four-year colleges. They are vigilant in ensuring that all tasks placed before their students are rigorous and, without exception, reflect the school’s aspirations of academic excellence.
We are passionate about history teachers who are fired up about their lessons-who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the rich content they teach. We value teachers who truly listen to what students are saying-who create a space for students to think their way through to answers, and who praise their insights and curiosities along the way. We value educators with a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
Our teachers know that a strong culture that respects and motivates students relies on excellent academic teaching in every room. We believe in restorative practices and teach students to resolve conflicts on their own, understand the impact of their actions, and acknowledge responsibility to the school community. We believe that a true liberal arts education – which fosters and prizes critical thinking and independence of thought-cannot be joined to a no-excuses culture that emphasizes silence and compliance. We prepare students for success in college and in life by fostering agency-our students’ confidence that they are in control of their own lives and can act of their own free choices. Discover more about BAHS.
The high school English teacher will develop and teach engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum. Additionally, the high school English teacher will:
- Serve as the pod’s advisory, driving both student and school culture initiatives, as well as monitoring academic progress of all advisees
- Serve as the first-point-of-contact for advisees’ parents/guardians
- Provide real-time academic feedback to students during both synchronous and asynchronous instructional days
- Prepare intellectually for all courses in order to effectively support students mid-lesson
- General education teachers with content experience partner with content creators to provide feedback
- Provide feedback to content creators and department chairs to strengthen virtual instruction
- Ensure accurate attendance, and partner with grade level chairs, the Operations Team, the Student Services Team, etc. to ensure strong attendance
- Communicate students’ material needs to the Operations Team
- Communication students’ emotional needs to the Student Services Team, and connect with clinicians as necessary
Staff and Reporting Relationships
The high school English teacher reports directly to the principal. Additional collaboration occurs with other leadership team members and the Ascend network.
- Expertise in teaching and working with scholars at high school level
- Bachelor’s degree, with advanced degree preferred
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Superb organizational, self-management, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Demonstrated success using data to drive instruction, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results
- Insistence on academic excellence and rigor at all times
- A hunger for feedback and an openness to engage in a process of self-improvement
- Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious achievement goals
- A high level of ownership over the success or failure of the scholars they lead, defining success in terms of academic results
- Alignment with the educational philosophy and core beliefs of Ascend Learning
- Skilled at communicating and working effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities-opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendschools.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.