Position: Special Education Teacher
Reports to: Principal, Darci Long, firstname.lastname@example.org 989-293-6091
Employed by: Mitten Educational Management
Nature of the Position:
The special education teacher at NCA will play a vital role in our school’s education by providing
assistance to students through leadership, advocacy, and collaboration. The teacher will help create a
safe learning environment for students and adhere to professional and ethical standards while
implementing a results-based special education program aimed at promoting student achievement.
Responsibilities of the Position:
1. Identify needs of assigned students through formal and informal assessments.
2. Review referral data, history and assessment data to develop appropriate goals and objectives
for each student.
3. Confer with general education teachers regarding the educational, social, emotional, and physical
needs and objectives of each student.
4. Prepare, plan, develop and implement Individualized Educational Plans (IEP’s) for each student.
5. Monitor, evaluate, and document each student’s progress utilizing appropriate measurements
and assessment devices.
6. Prepare timely progress reports for each student.
7. Develop and implement necessary interventions and strategies to promote achievement of
8. Maintain exemplary communication with parents by means of email, phone calls, conferences
and progress reports.
9. Manage student behavior through monitoring, supervising and assessing behavioral patterns.
10. Maintain accurate and complete records in compliance with school district regulations and legal
11. Maintain a current knowledge of special education best practices and trends.
12. Have a strong and demonstrated commitment to the school’s mission, vision, and core values.
Requirements for the Position:
1. Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in education.
2. Valid Michigan teaching certification.
3. Appropriate special education endorsement.
4. Understanding of the legal, professional and ethical issues that affect special education.
5. Background check/fingerprints.
Benefits package includes the following: health insurance, 401K, short and long term disability coverage,
dental and vision insurance, a healthy living stipend to promote fitness, uniform allowance and paid