Rigler Elementary Principal
Portland Public Schools
Tuesday, June 1, 2021
Portland Public Schools is seeking a talented school leader with experience of leading an increasingly diverse school, Rigler Elementary School. The successful candidate will demonstrate leadership practices that support collaboration, data-driven decision making, family and community engagement, innovation, and teamwork oriented approaches, with an racial equity and equality focused lens. The successful candidate will demonstrate an awareness of the intersectional identities multilingual learners possess and the historical inequities they have experienced. The principal at Rigler Elementary School will continue to establish a learning environment that promotes academic excellence and personal growth of every student and staff member. This school principal position is under the supervision of the Office of School Performance. To learn more about PPS and apply for the principal pool, please click here.
Rigler Elementary School serves over 300 students in NE Portland in the wonderfully diverse community of the Cully neighborhood. Rigler boasts a robust Spanish Dual Language Immersion (DLI) program that has thrived and grown over the last 17 years. This is PPS’ only full Spanish DLI school in the district, leveraging the power of students’ native language and culture to enhance achievement and belonging. Both Spanish and English speaking students, families, and teachers find a welcoming school home at Rigler.
The school enjoys strong advocacy and support from the community as well as talented and committed staff members. Rigler participates in the PPS partnership with UVA/PLE (University of Virginia, Partners for Leaders in Education) in school transformation work. Staff are focused on data driven instruction and using professional learning communities (PLC) to meet students’ academic needs. Rigler has a long history of restorative practice, and strives to model antiracist methods of teaching, learning, and leadership in all aspects of schooling. Staff are also trained in mindful and trauma informed practices.
Rigler School Principal must:
- Increase learning outcomes for students using Professional Learning Communities and data driven instructional practices while leveraging Dual Language Immersion outcomes
- Engage with both the staff and community to deepen and expand partnerships, supports and resources for families and students
- Collaborate with teams to set goals and measure progress, model continuous learning and improvement and develop school culture for staff and students
- Fluently be able to communicate in Spanish and English
- Maintain the district’s strategic plans in alignment with the PPS reImagined Vision
- Have demonstrable commitment to racial equity and social justice goals as they align with achieving the PPS Racial Educational Equity Policy Goals
This position is classified as Principal K-12, on the Licensed (Certified) Administrator Salary Schedule (for 233 days) FLSA Exempt.
- A State of Oregon issued Administrative License is required at the time of appointment
- A minimum of three (3) years of successful teaching experience and three (3) years of successful school principal or assistant leadership experience in an educational setting with demonstrated results in improving the academic performance of students
- Experience working in a richly diverse school community and environment and bilingual (Spanish) or multilingual skills are preferred
- Ability to prioritize students at the center of decision making with a lens towards racial equity and social justice
Principal Application Process:
To learn more about our application process you can visit our pps.net/jobs and use job number # 21890 to review the full qualifications. Watch This Video (Working in Portland School District): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8_SOX1h7cs&feature=youtu.be